August 17, 2010

New York Part 2 – The High Line

To begin with,  a couple of off topic things:  First my test yesterday went alright (I did well on the vignettes but we’ll see about the MC) and second Laura and I went to go see the movie “Get Low” last night and it was one of the better movie that I have seen in a while.  So back to NY.
Early on Sunday morning Laura and I walked over to the High Line.  The High Line, NY’s newest park, was created out of an abandoned train track that weaves throughout Chelsea 3 stories up.  I actually blogged about it forever ago when it was still a proposal.  Funny thing about that post – the waterfalls are dead and gone but the High Line is there to stay.
If I was going to point to one architectural project from the last five years that embodies the best of the sustainable movement in architecture it would be the High Line.  It’s creative refurbishment and attention to detail stand out as well as its sense of playfulness (at one point there is an amphitheater that looks out over the street).  It feels a bit short at the moment but it is only 1/3 of the way built – and the second third is almost finished.
So my pictures are mostly of a bunch of architectural details with some growies sprouting up between them.  Also there wasn’t many people out because apparently New York like to sleep in on Sunday. 


















No comments: