July 19, 2010

The Dentist’s Chair

Sitting in a dentist’s chair last Thursday I decided that the Dentist get pretty close to being my least favorite place to occupy.  And I have good reasons:

1- There is a power tool in your mouth that is vibrating your skull.

2- Unless you are going for a really big procedure, you are concious for the whole thing – and yet you can’t actually see anything that is going on.  Percieved danger is the imagination’s banquet.

3- When they aren’t poking and scaping at your primal nerves, they are trying to drown you or irradiate you.

I guess routine torture is better than painful, infected, rotting teeth.  Still, listening to the gutteral screams of a 10 year old girl in the next stall, I foresee problems in trying to someday explain this concept to my kids. 

No comments: