July 9, 2009

Grave of the Fireflies (movie review)




Grave of the Fireflies
Genres: Anime, World War II, Drama
Plot: Two orphaned Japanese children try to survive the latter part of WWII.

Thoughts: A meticulously animated, unveiled look into the horrors that humanity throws upon itself and must subsequently contend with. Shows both large scale depravity (the war) and small scale depravity (selfishly turning away kids for starvation) from the point of view of a 12 year old boy and his 4 year old sister. One of the most depressing movies I have ever seen.

I came away from this movie with the thought that “survival mode” is inherently anti-Christian. If I ever find myself in a position of desperation, I would hope that God grants me enough grace so that I will continue to look for opportunities to serve and uplift humanity around me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah!!! É lindo esse filme. Chorei durante uma semana depois de assistí-lo!!