September 8, 2008

An Opportunity for Design

To begin the story of my last two weeks requires some context for all the non-architect folks. In the process of creating a building you usually have a brief period of design and planning, followed by the putting together the construction documents, followed by bidding and construction. I really enjoy and excel at the design part, but due to several factors (being in a large firm, being on an aviation team which doesn’t have very many design opportunities, and having just completed college and thus being inexperienced) I have yet to design anything. Most of my work is on boring stuff like reflected ceiling plans.

As of late I have got to do some planning out at DFW. Though it isn’t really design, it was still pretty fun. That work had recently stopped so I was slated to go back to drawing expansion joints but was randomly asked to help out with a design team that was having trouble. Turns out that a large section of our aviation team was working on generating three schemes to a large client to completely redesign and rebuild their airport. (can’t reveal the client on the internet, top secret…) Needless to say I was pretty thrilled about the opportunity so I start sketching like a mad man, of which impressed our head designer and got my design as one of the three schemes to be presented this morning.

I am not boasting in my own merit, God has giving me the ability and the love of design as well as this opportunity. It has been refreshing to both Laura and I to see the quickness of this opportunity, as we weren’t expecting me to really enjoy my job until we moved to another place and firm. Hopefully I will get more opportunities now that some of my bosses have seen my potential. So here are some of my sketches (which won’t make a lot of sense given that I can’t really give you the context for them):

















4 comments:

Janelle said...

As always, I am impressed. Sorry it took so long for your firm to realize your talent. Hope this means more design (and less RCP - ick) in your future.

Anonymous said...

Awesome designs...

hey, I just got back from seeing Burn After Reading...its great! You will like it a lot!

Janelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Franklin said...

My friend is awesome! God's creative process continues through you (not just you, mind you, but including you. I'd like to think it continues through my history/literature papers too!)